FORT PIERRE NEIGHBORHOOD NOTICE
· During the week of May 4-10, 3 RATTLESNAKES have been killed in our neighborhood on LaFramboise Drive
· One dog has been bitten in the face by a rattlesnake
· Because of the cooler weather, snakes have not warned the perpetrator with a rattle………they just strike or bite
STEPS THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE TO PROTECT YOURSELF,
YOUR KIDS, OR YOUR PETS
· PAY ATTENTION WHEN IN YOUR YARD or around vehicles. Listen carefully for the rattle or a sound which sounds like running water.
· If you see a rattlesnake in your yard, DO NOT AGGITATE THE SNAKE! If you are close, within 3 feet, remain motionless and slowly back away from the snake. Know where the snake is at all times. If you are closer than 3 feet…….DO NOT MOVE.
· Clean up and remove any brush/wood piles, sheet metal, tall grass, and debris in your yard. Be especially careful around flower beds, rock gardens, and areas in the sun or shade where snakes can sun themselves or get out of the direct sunlight.
· DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KILL THE SNAKE unless you are positive that you can do so without getting bitten.
· Ben Smith (280-6597) and Kirby Welch (280-6399) have volunteered to come to your house to remove live rattlesnakes. Make sure you give them your name, address and phone number
· Advise your kids/grandkids of the rattlesnake danger and keep your pets close to home.
· If you are bitten dial 911 immediately.
· Human rattlesnake anti-venom shots are at least $5,000 per vile.
· This notice has been coordinated with the City of Fort Pierre and Sherriff.
I am available (most of the time) for immediate dispatch of rattlesnakes at John Moisan (280-1750) – 709 Two Rivers Street or contact the Fort Pierre Sherriff’s Department at