The purpose of an Overlay District is to create specific allowances and permissions within a base zoning district or districts. Overlay Districts can allow permissive regulations and standards to create incentives for historic preservation, or for any other purpose the City Council deems appropriate. Upon the establishment of an overlay district, development within the area shall conform to all base zoning regulations applicable to the area but shall also be permitted, but not required to enjoy the articulated uses of the overlay district. In the event of doubt, dispute or confusion between the base and overlay districts, the description of overlay district shall govern.

Section 2. That all ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict herewith are hereby repealed to the extent of conflict only.

Source:  Ord 976


Section Contents

Q-14-100 Definitions. 3

Q-14-101 Zoning Districts Permitting Travel Parks. 5

Q-14-102 Principle Permitted Uses. 6

Q-14-103 Accessory Uses. 6

Q-14-104 Travel Parks – License Required. 6

Q-14-105 Insurance. 7

Q-14-106 Liability. 8

Q-14-201 Building Permit Required. 8

Q-14-202 Area Regulations. 8

Q-14-203 Certain Uses Declared Incompatible and Excluded. 8

Q-14-204 Accessory Buildings and Structures. 9

Q-14-205 Building and Zoning Codes 9

Q-14-206 Property Maintenance. 9

Q-14-207 Junk Cars and Nuisances. 9

Q-14-208 Internal Vehicular Circulation. 9

Q-14-209 Fireplaces and cooking shelters 10

Q-14-210 Signage. 10

Q-14-211 Campsite Numbering. 10

Q-14-301 Drainage. 11

Q-14-302 Sensitive Areas/Unstable Lands. 11

Q-14-303 Sewer and Water 11

Q-14-304 Industrial Pre-Treatment 13

Q -14-305 Parking. 13

Q-14-306 Solid Waste Removal 13

Q-14-307 Vermin Control 14

Q-14-308 Fire protection. 14

Q-14-309 Comfort Stations/Service Building. 14

Q-14-310  Swimming Pools/Spas. 15

Q-14-311 Pet Kennels and Control of Animals. 15

Q-14-312  Camping Cabins. 15

Q-14-313 Bedding and linen. 16

Q-14-314 Lighting. 16

Q-14-401 Non-conforming Travel Parks 16

Q-14-402 Expansion of Non-conforming Travel Parks. 17

Q-14-403 Recreational Camping Units in Residential Zoning Districts. 17

Q-14-404 Inspections. 17

Q-14-405 Violation-Penalty. 17

Q-14-406 Appeals. 18

Source:  Ord 986


For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply within the jurisdiction of City of Fort Pierre including the extra-territorial:

Words defined by SDCL 34-18-1 have the same meaning when used in this chapter. In addition, the terms used in this chapter mean:

1 “Camping cabin,” any structure or building that is used to accommodate overnight sleeping guests and is dependent on a service building for restroom fixtures;

2. “Camping unit,” any trailer, tent camper, camper, camping cabin, tent, recreational park trailer, or other equipment that may be used by the traveling public at individual campsites located at campgrounds or areas used by the public as campgrounds;

3. “Campsite,” a specific parcel of land in a campground intended for occupancy and used by a single camping unit;

4. “Community water system,” a system that is regulated by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources that meets the requirements set forth in ARSD chapter 77:04:12;

5. “Department,” the term refers to either the Department of Public Works, the South Dakota Department of Health, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and other entities that have jurisdiction.

6. “Designated agent,” The City of Fort Pierre Public Works Director or designated representative;

7. “Egress window,” a window of sufficient size to meet the requirements the Building Code as adopted by the City of Fort Pierre, so that an occupant of a guest room or cabin can escape through the window in an emergency;

8. “Environmental Protection Agency-certified laboratory,” a laboratory which meets the requirements outlined in chapter 74:04:07.   EPA is an acronym for Environmental Protection Agency.

9. “Inspection,” an objective examination of a campground by the department to review the employee practices, sanitary conditions, and health standards in accordance with SDCL chapter 34-18 and this chapter;

10. “Private water system,” a water system that serves a campground, food service establishment, or lodging establishment that is not a public water system regulated by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources:

11. “Public water system,” a system that is regulated by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources that meets the requirements set forth in ARSD chapter 77:04:12;

12. “Sanitary dump station,” a facility used for the removal and disposal of wastes from a camping unit holding tank and that has a water connection for the necessary flushing of the tanks and area; Sanitary Dump Station is not associated with a single campsite and is available to the all occupants of the Travel Park.

13.”Service building,” a structure housing toilet, lavatory, and bathing facilities.

14. “SDDOT,” Acronym for the South Dakota Department of Transportation.

15. “Temporary Lodging.” The same individual or individuals occupying the Travel Park for periods of 180 days or less in any calendar year.

16. ”Travel Park – A business operation occupying a plot of ground primarily for camping units, camping cabins and camping facilities by persons.  Travel Park is also known as a campground or Recreational Vehicle (RV) Park.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-101 Zoning Districts Permitting Travel Parks

Travel Parks are permitted by conditional use in the following zoning districts with the special conditions indicated below and additional requirements as specified by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.  Upon receiving a Conditional Use Permit, a Travel Park must also obtain an annual license as indicated in Section Q14-104.

The Conditional Use shall be valid for the period of time specified by the Planning & Zoning Commission but not exceed 10 years, at which time, the owner of the property shall reapply for a continuation of the Conditional Use Permit.   If the owner has not constructed or operated the Travel Park for a period of 12 months from the date the approval of the Conditional Use, The Conditional Use Permit shall be terminated.  Reapplication for a Conditional Use Permit shall be required.

General Commercial Zoning District

  • Shall be compatible with the adjacent operations.
  • Shall be fully screened from view from the adjacent properties.
  • No parking of recreational camping units in Public Right of Way.
  • Travel Park shall have access to an improved public road.

Highway Commercial Zoning Districts

  • Shall be compatible with the adjacent operations.
  • Shall be fully screened from view from the adjacent properties.
  • No parking of recreational camping units in Public Right of Way.
  • Travel Park shall have access to an improved public road.
  • SDDOT approved access from the State Highways or access to Travel Park is from City streets.

Industrial Zoning Districts

  • Shall be compatible with the adjacent operations.
  • Shall be fully screened from view from the adjacent properties.
  • No parking of Recreational Camping Units within the public right of way.
  • Travel Park shall have access to an improved public road.

Park, Riverfront and Fairground District

  • Shall be compatible with the adjacent operations.
  • Shall be fully screened from view from the adjacent properties.
  • No parking of Recreational Camping Units within the public right of way.
  • Travel Park shall have access to an improved public road.

Planned Development District

  • Shall be permitted by the Planned Unit Development by laws and covenants if any.
  • Shall be compatible with the adjacent operations.
  • Shall be fully screened from view from the adjacent properties.
  • No parking of Recreational Camping Units within the public right of way.
  • Travel Park shall have access to an improved public road.

Residential Zoning Districts – Travel Parks are not permitted.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-102 Principle Permitted Uses

A.     Camping Units

B.      Camping Cabins

C.      Campsites

D.     Temporary lodging

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-103 Accessory Uses

A.     The construction, maintenance and use of swimming pools

B.      Outdoor cooking and dining

C.      Storage buildings for equipment used by the Travel Park Owner for maintenance of the Travel Park

D.     Storage facilities for the owners of the camping units for the duration of the stay within the Travel Park for the purpose of storing boats, vehicles and other equipment used while occupying a campsite within the Travel Park.

E.      Playground

F.      Boat and fishing docks

G.     Boat ramps

H.     Swimming Beaches

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-104 Travel Parks – License Required

In order to operate a Travel Park within the City of Fort Pierre, the owner of the Travel Park shall obtain an annual License. To obtain or renew a Travel Park License, the Operator must provide proof of insurance and construct, maintain and operate the Travel Park in accordance with this ordinance and other City Ordinances that may apply. The License application shall be provided by the Finance Officer. The application will be reviewed by the Director of Public Works or designee and issue or deny the license. The applications shall be due by January 30 of each year the Travel Park is in operation. The Fee for obtaining a Travel Park License shall be as indicated in Section S-1-5 related to fees assessed by the City of Fort Pierre.

A Guest Registry must be maintained and accurate with contact information for each guest that stays at the Travel Park.  Each Travel Park is required to maintain these records for three (3) years.  Periodic inspection by the City will be conducted.  A review and verification of the registry will be required to renew license. For any licensed Travel Park found not to be in compliance, there shall be a re-inspection fee as provided in Section S-1-5 Procedures for Issuance of License and Permits, including Fee Schedule. This re-inspection fee shall be charged each time a Travel Park is re-inspected. Travel Parks shall be in compliance with all the requirements of this Chapter.

All Travel Park Licenses shall begin on May 1, of each year and expire April 30 of the following year.

Renewal of License is not automatic or guaranteed.  Each Travel Park must reapply for a license each year and provide a copy of previous year’s guest registry.  The Public Works Department will maintain a record of violations and complaints received regarding a licensed campground.  If the campground has more than 10 minor violations as determined by the Public Works Director in any calendar year or a single major violation that risks life and property, the license will be terminated or not renewed.

The License for the operation of a Travel Park shall be terminated upon written notice from the City of Fort Pierre for continual violations of this ordinance or negligence by the Travel Park owner that jeopardizes the health and safety of the residents of the Travel Park or the residents of the City of Fort Pierre.

Travel Park license fees are non-refundable.

Temporary Camping Permit for placement of Camping Units on private property other than residential districts not in a licensed Travel Park may be issued for special occasions and holidays only. The permits shall be obtained from the Public Works Director or designee a minimum of 48 hours in advance of the first date of stay.

1.       No payment transaction shall be made for use of the temporary campsites.

2.       Temporary campsites shall be located 50 feet from the front property line and 15 feet from adjacent properties.

Temporary camping permits shall not exceed four (4) calendar days in length in any 30 calendar day period.  No more than four (4) camping units shall be permitted on each zoning lot.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-105 Insurance

The Travel Park shall be required to obtain and maintain an insurance policy and provide proof of insurance coverage when obtaining the Travel Park Permit and License.  All insurance policies shall list the City of Fort Pierre as an additional insured.

The following minimum insurance coverages shall be required:


No. of Campsites Property Insurance


General Liability Insurance


Other Insurance
Less than 20 $1 Million/$2 Million $1 Million/$2 Million Per State Statute
More than 20 $2 Million/$5 Million $2 Million

Excess Policy

Other insurance which may be required Per State Statute before a license will be issued include:

  • Workers Compensation
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Swimming Pool Liability Insurance

Other insurance may be necessary depending on permitted uses, location, and other risk factors.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-106 Liability

The City and representatives of the City acting in good faith shall not be held liable personally or as an entity for any damage occurring to persons and property as a result of any act or by reason of an act or omission in the discharge of official duties or for the operation of the Travel Park.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-201 Building Permit Required

A building permit is required for every new Travel Park or expansion of a Travel Park.  The building permit shall be obtained at the city office. Separate permits are required for gas, plumbing, electrical and mechanical work, grading, drainage, and erosion control within the Travel Park or when altering services for self-contained units. All work shall comply with the currently adopted zoning, building, gas, plumbing, electrical and mechanical codes. The fees for permit applications shall be identical to the current building code fee schedule adopted by the City.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-202 Area Regulations

1.       Campsites, except Tents sites, shall not be less than 1,000 square feet per campsite and not more than 10 campsites per acre of land.  Tent sites shall not be less than 500 square feet which does not include vehicle parking space.

2.       Designated spaces for camping units, main and accessory structures and playground equipment shall be set back from exterior property boundaries per the area regulations in the applicable zoning district.   Setbacks shall not be less than 10 feet.

3.       Camping units shall be separated from adjacent camping units, main and accessory structures and playgrounds by not less than 15 feet.

4.       Camping units shall be set back from fire lanes by not less than 15 feet. Camping units, main and accessory structures, and playground equipment within the travel park shall not exceed height restrictions per the applicable zoning district.

5.       Spaces for dependent camping units shall be located within 300 feet of toilet, washroom and bath facilities. Spaces for self-contained camping units operating as such may be located more than 300 feet of toilet, washroom and bath facilities.

6.       Screening such as solid fencing, hedges, trees, or other means shall be provided when the Travel Park abuts residential property.  Buffering and screening shall be required if the travel park is located in or adjacent to a residential zoning district.  The purpose of a buffer is to reduce visual, noise, light and incompatibility impacts.  The need and extent will be determined on an individual case by case basis.  Buffering or screening may be achieved by installing walls, fences or live plantings.  All plantings shall be maintained in a healthy living condition for the life of the travel park.  All buffering and screening shall be a minimum of six(6) feet in height and shall be approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission.  Natural screening/buffering is encouraged.

7.       Non-conforming Travel Parks must meet ordinance compliance within 30 Days from the date notice of non-compliance is issued.  Time extensions for compliance may be granted upon submission of proof of hardship and determination by the Public Works Director or his Designee that additional time is required.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-203 certain Uses Declared Incompatible and Excluded

There are to be no permanent skirting, decking, storage buildings, or any other permanent structures allowed in a campsite.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-204 Accessory Buildings and Structures

Accessory garages, carports, sheds, swimming pools and decks are permitted for park and recreation operation only.

Storage buildings may be constructed to store the vehicles and personal property of the individuals staying at the Travel Park.  Individuals utilizing these storage units shall not occupy beyond the length of their stay at the Travel Park.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-205 Building and Zoning Codes

Building Permits will be required for all structures not exempt by the adopted Building Code.

The Travel Park shall not be exempt from any zoning requirements or regulations of the zoning district in which the Travel Park is located.

Any building permit exemptions allowed by the current Building and Zoning Codes, or any other Code adopted by the City shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this Chapter.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-206 Property Maintenance

All Travel Parks shall be in compliance with the currently adopted International Property Maintenance Code.

The owner shall maintain the Travel Park in conditions which do not create hazards to the property or endanger the health or safety of any occupant or surrounding resident.  The owner shall provide that the grounds are kept free of trash, rubbish or debris that is or could become a health or safety hazard to any occupant or surrounding resident.  The owner shall prevent the growth of ragweed, poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac and other noxious weeds.  The owner shall also control the growth of brush, weeds and grass to prevent harborage of ticks, chiggers and other noxious insects within the campground.  The Owner of the Travel Park shall minimize ponding water or water collection points that may harbor and breed mosquitos.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-207 Junk Cars and Nuisances

All Travel Parks shall be free from junk, unlicensed or abandoned vehicles and nuisances per L-3 of the City Ordinance.  Abandoned camping units shall be the owner’s responsibility to remove, store and dispose of the abandoned camping units after due process in accordance with the South Dakota law.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-208 Internal Vehicular Circulation

Internal roadways shall provide access to the campsites in the Travel Park. Travel Park Roadways shall have all weather surfacing and provide a well drained surface compatible to adjacent roadways. All roads within the Travel Park shall be maintained by the owner to the standards as specified in this ordinance.  The roadway shall meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Entrance and all 2-way roads (no parking): 25 feet;
  • One-way (no parking): 16 feet.
  • On road parking:  An additional 10 feet of surfacing shall be added to the street width on each side of the street on which “on street parking” is desired.

All interior Travel Park roads shall be private roads, owned and maintained by the owner or operator of the Travel Park.  All roads shall be open for access at all times to authorized City officials, law enforcement and other emergency vehicle access.

All Travel Park roads shall be surfaced with gravel surfacing, crushed rock, asphalt surfacing, concrete surfacing or other suitable material approved by the Public Works Department.

Approaches and other points of ingress and egress with City right-of-way shall be in compliance with the City road standards, and be acceptable to the Public Works Department.  Points of ingress and egress located on state highways shall be in accordance with the South Dakota State Department of Transportation regulations.

New or altered internal roadways shall be designed by a professional engineer licensed in the State of South Dakota. Roadway alignment and grades shall be in accordance with the AASHTO Design Guidelines for Very Low Volume Local Roads.  Rural or Urban Design will be acceptable.

Fire lanes shall be constructed and maintained as per the current adopted Fire Code. Driving surfaces shall be able to withstand the loads of vehicular traffic and fire services apparatus.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-209 Fireplaces and cooking shelters

Where Public fireplaces, cooking shelters or similar facilities for open fires or outdoor cooking are provided by the Travel Park, they shall be so located, constructed, maintained and used as to minimize fire hazards, smoke nuisance within the park and in adjoining areas. Fuels used in outdoor fireplaces and grills must be restricted to wood, gas or charcoal.  Private grills provided by the campers that utilize LP shall be required to have LP tanks secured to prevent overturning.  Individual LP tank capacities shall not exceed 100 pounds (20 gallons).

The Travel Park shall comply with the currently adopted fire codes.

If the Travel Park, provides a LP refill site, the refill site shall be located within an explosion proof shelter or be located 50 feet from any campsite or public building.  The Bulk LP Tank and refill station shall be operated, maintained and inspected in accordance with State regulations NFPA 11-92 and 11-94.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-210 Signage

The entrance to each row within a Travel Park shall have a directional sign with a minimum of 4 inch numbers indicating the space numbers in each row Each Travel Park shall display an identification sign containing the name, phone number and address of the Travel Park. Advertising signs within the Travel Park shall be subject to the provisions of the current Sign Code adopted by the City.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-211 Campsite Numbering

Campsite numbers shall be no less than 4 inches in height, placed at the same location for each space, readily visible from fire lanes.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-301 Drainage

Travel parks shall make adequate provisions for storm water or flood water runoff to prevent erosion, flooding, sedimentation and flooding of ditches or streams, destruction of natural drainage channels, and flooding of adjacent properties. Travel Parks under construction shall provide erosion control plans for approval by the Public Works Director and the SDDENR.  Erosion control plans shall include temporary and permanent erosion control measures and facilities.

  • General requirements:  Drainage facilities shall be installed to prevent erosion, flooding or hazards to the use of the roads, camping sites, or facilities within the park and to adjacent and downstream private or public property.
  • Drainage plan:  All persons applying for travel park approval shall provide a drainage plan for surface and pertinent subsurface water flows entering, flowing within, and leaving the park property.  The drainage plan shall provide storm water calculations, design information and construction details. The Drainage Plan shall be approved by the Public Works Department and SDDENR.
  • Drainage system:  The storm water drainage system shall be separate and independent of any sanitary sewer system.  The drainage system and facilities shall conform to City standards and have approval from the Public Works Department. Natural drainage ways shall be utilized wherever feasible, be buffered from roadways, and shall not be altered unless the drainage plan shows that alternative drainage facilities are needed and provided
  • Drainage easements: Where a Travel Park is traversed by a watercourse, drainage channel, or stream necessary for upstream or upland drainage, provisions shall be made for a drainage easement conforming substantially with the alignment of the watercourse and of an adequate width for maintenance and erosion control purposes.  This requirement shall not entail any responsibilities for watercourse maintenance on the part of the City and arrangements for maintenance may be required to the satisfaction of the Public Works Department.
  • Requirements reduced or modified:  Drainage plans and system requirements may be reduced or modified if in the opinion of the Public Works Director such reduction or modification is necessary or appropriate to carry out the purpose and intent of this section.

Travel Parks shall be constructed or placed in such a manner so as to ensure adequate drainage and protect property and improvements in accordance with the City Standards. Grading, drainage and erosion control plans shall be prepared in accordance with ordinances of the City of Fort Pierre.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-302    Sensitive Areas/Unstable Lands.

No travel park shall be approved for location on any land having unstable soils, geologic hazards or other features which may create hazards to the property or the health and safety of the occupants as determined by the Public Works Director.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-303         Sewer and Water

Water Supply:  The owner shall provide an accessible, adequate, and safe supply of water to all campground facilities. If a public water system of the quantity, quality, and pressure is available, the owner shall connect to the public water system.  The Public Water system shall be used exclusively.   Travel Parks within the Jurisdiction of the City of Fort Pierre will have access to a public water system.

The water system within the Travel Park is considered a private water system, therefore, the owner of the Travel Park is the owner of a private water system. As the Owner of the private water system, water samples shall be submitted prior to initial start-up.  Results of the initial start-up water sample shall be submitted to the Department of Public Works prior to operation for the season.  Additional samples shall be submitted quarterly to an EPA-certified laboratory (South Dakota Health Laboratory) for bacteriological analysis while the campground is in operation. Results of each sample shall be sent to the Department of Public Works for review.  The owner shall submit a nitrate test of the water supply system yearly. The owner of a private water system shall report any unsafe water sample to the Department of Public Works within three days. If an unsafe drinking water sample is reported, the campground shall provide two consecutive safe water samples prior to allowing the public to use the private water supply.

Water storage and distribution facilities:  The water storage and distribution facilities shall be designed to provide a minimum of 100 Gallons per Day per campsites and cabins.  Peak Flows shall be determined by the average design flow multiplied by a factor of two (2).  Each water storage reservoir shall be covered, water tight and constructed of impervious material.  Each water storage and distribution facility shall be sanitized and cleaned prior to use each year.  Each overflow and vent of a reservoir shall be effectively screened.  Each manhole shall be constructed with a raised lip and overlapping cover to prevent the entrance of contaminated material.  No water piping system may be connected to any non-potable or unapproved water supply.  The system shall be protected against any hazard of backflow or back siphon age.  The system shall be designed and maintained to provide a pressure of not less than 20 lbs per square inch under normal operating conditions at each outlet and mixture requiring potable water.

Watering Solutions:  Each campground shall be provided with at least one easily accessible water supply outlet for obtaining potable water for individual use and for filling any camping unit water storage tank.  Each water supply outlet shall consist of at least a water hydrant and any necessary appurtenance and shall be protected against any hazard of backflow and back siphon age.  No designated campsite within an improved camping area may be more than 200 feet from a water supply outlet.  Each watering station for potable water use shall be located at least 15 feet from a sanitary dump station.  Signage shall be provided to identify this as a potable water source and not to be used for flushing waste tanks or other similar warnings.

Water connection system:  The individual potable water connection shall meet the following requirements:

  • Each riser pipe provided shall be located and constructed so that the pipe will not be damaged by the parking of the camping units.
  • Each riser pipe shall extend at least eighteen inches above the ground elevation; pipe size shall be at least three-quarters of an inch.
  • If potable water is provided at each Campsite, the potable water riser shall be a minimum of 5 feet away from the sewer Connection at the same campsite or adjacent campsite.
  • Potable water at the sanitary dump stations shall be a minimum of 15 feet from the sewer connection.

Waste water disposal:  Each campground shall have a wastewater collection and treatment system to convey and dispose of all wastewater. The system shall be designed by a professional engineer registered in the state of South Dakota, constructed, and maintained in accordance with SDENR Admin rules.

A minimum of one (1) sanitary dump station shall be provided at each Travel Park.  An additional sanitary dump station shall be provided per each 40 campsites that do not have a sewer connection at the campsite.

Sewer Connections System shall meet the following requirements.

A.     The sewer riser pipe must be a minimum of  four inch diameter PVC Pipe and must be located on the camp site or at the specified Dump Station

B.      The sewer connection shall have a nominal inside diameter of at least four inches and the slope of any portion of it shall be one-fourth inch for each foot.  The sewer connection system shall consist of one pipeline only without any branch fittings.  Each joint shall be watertight.

C.      Materials used for the sewer system shall be corrosive resistant, nonabsorbent and durable with a smooth inner surface.

D.     A tight fitting plug or cover for the sewer connection system shall be in place when a camping unit does not occupy the campsite.   The tight fitting cover shall be designed to prevent contamination of hands when activated, surface water infiltration and odors escaping.

E.      The Sanitary sewer connection shall be surrounded at the inlet by an approved 48” x 48” x 4” thick concrete apron that is at least 4” above surrounding grade and sloped to the connection Pipe.

F.      Surface drainage shall be diverted away from the sewer connection concrete apron.

G.     Sanitary dump stations shall have non-potable rinse water outlet mounted on a retractable reel or similar device to ensure the nozzle does not touch the ground when not in use; signage specifying unsafe/unpotable water shall be in place at all times; The rinse water outlet shall have a backflow prevention system installed.

Grey Water: No grey water may be discharged onto or allowed to accumulate on the ground surface.

Accidental or purposeful discharge of grey water or black water on the surface shall be in violation of SDDENR admin rules and shall be abated in accordance with SDDENR Admin Rules.  The Cost of abatement and fines shall be assessed to the camping unit owner and/or Property owner.

Sanitary sewer and water supply systems shall be properly maintained at all times. New or replacement water and sewer distribution and collection systems shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the City Standards.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-304         Industrial Pre-Treatment

A Travel Park shall be considered a commercial user. No Travel Park shall discharge wastewater to the wastewater facilities without having a valid industrial waste permit issued by the Director of Public Works. Industrial Pre-treatment shall be applied to the Travel Park, inclusive of the sewer services and any sewage dumping stations.

Source:  Ord 986

Q -14-305        Parking

There shall be established and maintained within each park, two accessory vehicle parking spaces per campsite. There shall also be one (1) additional accessory vehicle parking space per 10 campsites for use by guests. Guest parking spaces shall be located at convenient locations within the Travel Park. Guest parking on public streets will not be permitted.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-306         Solid Waste Removal

  • The storage, collection, and disposal of solid waste in the Travel Park shall be accomplished so as to prevent fire and health hazards, rodent harborage, insect breeding, accidents and odor.  The operator of an RV park may be required to enter into a contract for regular collection with an approved hauler and may be required to show proof thereof.
  • Leak proof, non-absorbent solid waste containers with tight fitting lids shall be located not more than two hundred (200) feet from any RV space.
  • Solid waste containers shall be screened from other activities by visual barriers such as fences, walls or natural growth, and should be identified.
  • Garbage removal shall be in accordance with city Ordinances.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-307         Vermin Control

Each building and area of the travel park shall be constructed, equipped, and maintained to prevent the entrance, harborage, or breeding of flies, roaches, rats, mice, and all other insects and vermin. If there is an infestation, the City may require the owner of the campground to clean, renovate, and fumigate the campground to eliminate and to prevent the pests. The City may require the campground to hire a professional exterminator to exterminate pests under the following conditions:

(1)     The infestation is so extensive that it is unlikely that a nonprofessional can eradicate the pests effectively

(2)  The method of extermination of choice can only be carried out by a professional exterminator; or

(3)  The City finds that a campground has not been brought into compliance with a prior order to rid the establishment of pests.

The city shall require regularly scheduled professional extermination services following the determination of an excessive pest infestation.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-308         Fire protection

Portable fire extinguishers shall be provided in an accessible area for use and shall be maintained in an operable condition. Each fire extinguisher shall be rated a minimum of 2A10BC, shall be no more than 400 feet from any campsite, must be maintain operational and must be accessible to the public at all times.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-309         Comfort Stations/Service Building

Each Travel Park containing 10 or more sites shall be required to construct and maintain a comfort station/service building.

The Travel Park comfort station/service building shall consist of men’s and women’s toilet and shower facilities. Toilet and bathing facilities must meet the uniform plumbing code as adopted by the state plumbing commission pursuant to SDCL 36-25-15. Each room containing a sanitary or laundry facility must have sound-resistant walls extending to the ceiling between male and female sanitary facilities. Each floor, wall and ceiling shall be constructed of light-colored, smooth, nonabsorbent, durable, and easily cleanable material. Each concrete, brick, or pumice block shall be finished and sealed to provide a smooth, flat, easily cleanable surface. Each floor, wall, and ceiling in the service building shall be kept clean and in good repair. Each toilet, lavatory, and bathing fixture shall be kept clean, sanitary and in good repair. Each restroom fixture shall be cleaned and sanitized daily or more often as needed. Each cleaner, sanitizer, and disinfectant shall comply with 40 C.F.R. § 180.940, July 1, 2013. Each room shall have at least one screened window that can be easily opened or a mechanical device that ventilates the room. Each fixture shall be maintained in good repair. Each opening for ventilation or entrance shall be kept screened at all times to prevent the entrance of insects and vermin into the facility. Each service building room shall be equipped with non-glare lighting to provide at least 10 foot candles on all surfaces except those used for reading, shaving, or the application of cosmetics. For these areas, a minimum of 30 foot candles shall be provided.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-310         Swimming Pools/Spas

Each swimming pool, spa, or other similar recreational facility shall comply with requirements in the “Recommended Standards for Swimming Pool Design and Operation,” most current edition, Great Lakes-Upper Mississippi River Board of State and Provincial Public Health and Environmental Managers. The owner or operator of a swimming pool, spa, or other water recreational facility shall collect and submit at least one water sample weekly for each swimming pool, spa, or other water recreational facility under the owner’s or manager’s control to an EPA-certified laboratory for bacteriological analysis. A copy of the daily log and weekly water sample results taken shall be kept onsite of the facility and available for inspection at all times. The owner or operator shall report any unsafe water sample test results to the Public Works Department within three days after receipt of the test results. Upon receipt of a positive water sample the owner or operator of the facility shall submit two consecutive negative samples to the Public Works Department to confirm treatment procedures have eliminated the contamination. If a resample test is positive, the owner or operator of the facility shall close the affected water recreational facility and submit two consecutive negative samples prior to allowing guest use of the affected water recreational facility. A colorimetric test kit shall be used for the monitoring and adjusting of disinfectant levels and pH in swimming pool, spa, or any other water recreational facility. The owner or operator of the facility shall maintain a daily log of disinfectant levels and PH.

Swimming pools shall be grounded in accordance with the National Electrical Code.

Source :  Ord 986

Q-14-311         Pet Kennels and Control of Animals

Any pet kennel or compound if provided shall be operated and maintained in a clean, sanitary and safe manner.  No owner or person in charge of an animal may permit it to run at large or to become a nuisance within the limits of a campground or the adjacent property.  If leaving your animal kenneled in your travel trailer, it is your responsibility to leave your contact information with the registration desk/people in case of an emergency or disturbance.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-312         Camping Cabins.

Any structure that is provided for use by overnight guests and physically secured to the ground on a foundation system shall meet the following requirements:

(1)    Each camping cabin shall have no more than two sleeping rooms;

(2)    Each sleeping room shall either directly exit to the outside or be equipped with an operable egress window. Each egress window shall have at least a net clear opening of 5.7 square feet and shall be at least 24 inches high and at least 20 inches wide. The egress window shall open from the inside of the guest room without the use of any special tool or knowledge. The egress window shall have a finished height of not more than 48 inches above the floor. For camping cabins constructed before July 1, 2009, each grade level egress window shall have at least a net clear opening of 5.0 square feet and shall be at least 24 inches high and at least 20 inches wide;

(3)    Each floor, wall, and ceiling shall be constructed of durable, nonabsorbent, easily cleanable materials and cleaned and sanitized between guests;

(4)    Each mattress provided shall be protected or covered with an impermeable cover to prevent the infestation of pests and filth;

(5)    A hard-wired or battery-operated smoke detector shall be provided in each camping cabin;

(6)    No bathroom facility may be provided in the camping cabin;

(7)    Each window and opening to the outside that is not a door shall be screened to prevent the entrance of vermin and insects; and

(8)    Any fuel fired heating equipment located inside the camping cabin shall be inspected at least once a year by a person in the business of heating system maintenance. A written verification of the inspection shall be kept on file in the campground with the date of the inspection, a written statement by the person making the inspection, and that person’s signature.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-313         Bedding and linen

If a trailer park owner or operator furnishes linens for use by a guest using the camping cabin, the owner or operator shall furnish each guest with clean sheets and pillow cases for the bed, bunk, or cot to be occupied by the guest. Sheets shall be of sufficient width and length to cover the mattress completely. Any bath linen, sheets, and pillow cases used by one guest shall be washed and mechanically dried before being furnished to another guest. Any bedding, including mattress, mattress pad, quilt, blanket, pillows, sheets, and spreads, and all bath linen shall be kept clean, in good repair, and stored in a sanitary manner. Separate laundry containers shall be provided for clean and soiled laundry. Any soiled linen, uniform, and other garment shall be kept separate from clean linen to prevent cross-contamination. Any clean linen shall be stored on smooth, nonabsorbent, cleanable surfaces located a minimum of six inches above the floor.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-314         Lighting

Adequate lighting for the safe movement of both pedestrians and drivers shall be provided throughout the facility.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-401         Non-conforming Travel Parks

A legal but non-conforming Travel Park or accessory structure existing at the time of the adoption of this chapter may be continued and maintained except as otherwise provided in this chapter.  Signage, space numbering, and fire lane markings shall conform to the provisions of this chapter at all times.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-402         Expansion of Non-conforming Travel Parks

Travel Parks shall not be expanded in area or by number of spaces without first being in compliance with this Chapter and other chapters of the City Ordinance.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-403         Recreational Camping Units in Residential Zoning Districts

Travel Parks are not permitted in Residential Zoning Districts. No more than one (1) recreational camping units can be placed on each zoning lot within a residential zoning district per Ordinance Q-5-103.  No payment of any kind shall be exchanged for placing the Recreational Camping Unit on the Zoning lot.  Tents placed in the rear yard space are exempt from this requirement.

The recreational camping unit in Residential Zoning District may only be occupied for periods not to exceed seven (7) calendar days in any 30 calendar day period.  The Recreational Camping Unit shall be for use by friends or family members of the occupants of the zoning lot only.  Special permit must be obtained from the City Office for additional units or extended occupation.

Recreational Camping Units may be parked in the Public Right of Way in accordance with Chapter N-4-7.  Parking and occupying a Recreational Camping Unit in the Public Right of Way shall require a temporary camping permit and the duration shall not exceed 4 calendar days per 30 calendar day period.

Permits for additional recreational camping units may be obtained from the Director of Public Works or designee for special circumstances and holidays.  The number of Recreational Camping Units shall not exceed four (4) recreational camping units per zoning lot and the length of stay of the additional units shall not exceed four (4) calendar days per 30 calendar day period.

Manholes shall not be used as a sewer connections or Dump Station.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-404         Inspections

A.     The Public Works Director or his designee are authorized and directed to make inspections to determine the condition of Travel Parks located in the city’s Planning and Zoning jurisdiction in order that they may perform their duties of safeguarding the health and safety of occupants of the Travel Park.

B.      The Fire Chief or his designee and/or the Building Official or his designee shall have the power to enter at reasonable times upon any Travel Park for the purpose of inspecting and investigating conditions relating to the enforcement of this chapter. It shall be the duty of the owner or occupant of the Travel Park or the person in charge thereof to give the Fire Department free access to such Travel Park at reasonable times for the purpose of inspections.

Source:  Ord 986

 Q-14-405         Violation-Penalty

Wherever in this chapter an act is prohibited or is made or declared unlawful, or the doing of any act is required or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, any person who shall be convicted of any such violation shall be fined and jailed in accordance with the City’s general penalty as indicated in City Ordinance Section S. Each day any violation of this chapter continues shall constitute a separate offense.

Source:  Ord 986

Q-14-406         Appeals

A.     Any person directly affected by a decision, notice or order of the code official under this Code shall have the right to appeal to the Board of Adjustments and Appeals, provided that a written application for appeal is filed with the City Building Official or their authorized designee within 30 days after the day the decision, notice or order was served. An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of this code or the rules legally adopted there under have been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of this code do not fully apply, or the requirements of this code are adequately satisfied by other means.

B.      Appeals of notice and orders (other than Imminent Danger notices) shall stay the enforcement of the notice and order until the appeal is heard by the appeals board.

C.      All hearings before the board shall be open to the public. The appellant, the appellant’s representative, the code official, any member of the City staff, or any person whose interests are affected shall be given an opportunity to be heard.

D.     The decision of the code official shall only be modified or reversed upon a majority vote of the members present. The decision of the Board shall be final.

Section 4.         That all ordinance or parts of ordinances in conflict herewith are hereby repealed to the extent of conflict only.

Source:  Ord 986